[PD] settable receive again

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jun 10 12:10:09 CEST 2012

Quoting Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>:
>> [s parent-$0-$1]
>> [r parent-$0-$1]
>
> That probably wasn't clear.  I don't want [symbol parent-$0-$1]; inside my
> abstractions I want the parent $0 prefixed to $1 as the symbol.  In other
> words, my abstractions make it so that I don't have to type "$0-" in every
> s/r pair where I want canvas locality which as I said is most of the cases
> by far.  (My abstractions do other stuff which I wrote about in the nonlocal
> scope thread, but that isn't important to this discussion.)

are you talking about canvas-locality (something Pd has no constructs
for), patch-locality ($0), or hierarchical locality (something like
[block~] does, and which many text-based languages do, e.g. {int foo;
if(2>1){float foo; /* ... */ } }

also, do you want to be able to build abstractions that have the same
property?

using externals like iemguts makes it trivial to have all this, but
probably the idea is to have all this in Pd-vanilla (i haven't
followed the entire thread yet, due to problems with my mai filters)

fgamsr
IOhannes