[PD] text to sound

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:55:28 CEST 2012

Update: I've just added support for reading plaintext files, it's all in the readme

From: jbturgid at hotmail.com
To: dataferx at gmail.com; pd-list at iem.at
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:29:30 +0000
Subject: Re: [PD] text to sound

I've got an open source project using ruby to parse strings and send commands via TCP to pure data. Which started with some of my earliest non-pd coding. It's not currently set up to read text files, but it'd be a fairly simple mod, so you're welcome to learn ruby and submit a patch.
PDF's are a much more complicated file format, I don't know how you'd go about extracting the text content from them to feed the text-to-music algorithm.
Anyway, you can get it from
https://github.com/ajfaraday/text-to-music
The sonification is based on some simple rules:
Letters are a semitone apart in alphabetical orderNumbers describe a diminished scaleSpaces provide a gap(there are some specific percussion sounds)
It's actually quite a nice way of hearing the patterns in written language, you can hear rhymes, and repeating patterns and rhythms from the character length of words. It's set up to read twitter streams and RSS to get some real-time data on a subject of your choice, too.
All I would ask is that you let me know how you find the project, and if you can think of another use for it.
- Andrew