[PD] dynamic patching woes...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Jun 22 21:12:12 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 08:09 PM, Patrice Colet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> you've described explicitely the reasons why I don't use abstractions
> in a dynamic patching project, at least the audio part. The signal
> objects won't work unless you make some connections inside your
> abstraction, manually or with an internal message. In fact instead of
> dynamically creating abstractions, using internal messages for
> constructing all the patch should be a better approach, you can store
> the lines of code that is constructing the patches with [textfile],
> and then you can clear and reconstruct any part of the patch by using
> an internal message manager, that can be made with a few objects.

i see. i guess i will try that approach to dynamically create various
variations of the player and then use those in production, to avoid
problem with dynpatching...

> Also, I don't really get why you don't use [throw~] [catch~] [send~]
> and [receive~] instead of [inlet~] [outlet~]

oh, i did. the reason why i'd like to use outlet~s rather than throw~ is
that they make my abstraction more intuitive to use - you see the
outlets and immediately know what to do.
i tried another approach: a player which used only throw~s and then a
separate abstraction (dynpatched to catch~ the data and funnel it into
outlets), but i found that a bit awkward to use - not exactly
discoverable, and who reads manuals :)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net