[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.43-3 released

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 20:40:57 CEST 2012

Hi Miller,
     I think the whole gpointer thingy forces Pd users to think about
unnecessary details-- like scalar creation order-- just in order to use
them, which is exactly why the #1 complaint about them is that
nobody understands how to use them.  You've designed the rest of
Pd to hide just the things data structures reveal.  Unfortunately
the user doesn'tget expressivity through data structures that would
be comparable to just coding a c external, but they do get a
(somewhat) comparable level of complexity.

Here's how to make them better:
1) Make a public interface out of the trick you're already using to
load pd-_float_array and pd-_float.  Users should be able to make
a ds library and load that library with the same ease that they load
external libraries using [declare], [import], etc. (This will also solve
the problem of trying to use a data structure inside an abstraction,
where on the one hand the user must use [struct $0-foo], but then
that destroys any chance to save and reload state with impugnity.)

2) Allow scalar creation by typing the name in an object box.  If I
have [struct foo] in a subpatch template I should be able to type
[foo] andhave it create a scalar.  If I loaded a library named "foo"
that includes a template for [struct bar] I should be able to type
[bar] or [foo/bar] and have the scalar create.  If it's any harder than
that to create a scalar then the number of people who will understand
and benefit from using data structures will never exceed the number
of people who understand and benefit from dynamic patching (which
is very few because it's too clunky).
If you do these then data structures will be crystal clear:
As an abstraction is Pd code analogous to external class in c with default widget behavior
So too is
A data structure template analogous to an external class in c with custom widget behavior

... with the added benefit that coding up such a data structure doesn't carry
the complexity of coding a graphical external class in c.

-Jonathan

p.s.
(Experimental) 3) Add a "canvas" or "glist" field to [struct] as I suggested in an earlier
email.  I don't think João would need to search through a linked list just to find a
value if he could have a canvas with the necessary objects in it that is
associated with that scalar and its field values.