[PD] 2009-2010 Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Latency?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:58:39 CEST 2012

There's a threshold for distinguishing two discrete audio events of at
least 10ms or so, but that doesn't mean there are no audible artifacts
below that.  A flanger effect is between 1 and 10ms so low latency can give
a static 'hollow' comb filtered sound when the dry and processed sound are
mixed.  Whether or not one finds that sound objectionable is purely
subjective, but it has been known to affect artists enough that they can't
perform well.

Also, consider that sound travels about a foot a millisecond so standing 10
feet from a guitar amp means the sound is delayed 10ms.  I don't hear much
about this latency problem though.