[PD] Pd-extended on the Raspberry Pi

Michael Zacherl sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info
Wed Aug 1 23:10:52 CEST 2012

On 1.8.2012, at 20:25 , m.e.grimm wrote:

> i just got mine a couple of weeks ago. just got a power supply and got
> rasbian on it. just using "apt-get install puredata" worked fine and
> all deps met.

Yes, this is the case with the current (as of 20120715) Raspbian image,
which has Pd Vanilla in its repository. That's easy.
But alas, on my RPi, with a fresh image on the card the sound is chopped up,
tastes a bit like an interrupt problem, or at least it sounds like that.

I previously was referring to TedB0t's original post where he kindly built a package of Pd-extended,
which he describes here: http://log.liminastudio.com/writing/tutorials/how-to-build-pd-extended-on-the-raspberry-pi
Note that this is for the previous Debian Squeeze image which apparently has been replaced by Raspbian.
Both support different architectures.

> anyway. it does not look like the built-in output is too promising.

What do you mean by that?
Is the sound clean on your system?
I'm talking about the onboard sound via the 3.5mm socket.
The alsa-player is fine BTW, playing a .wav is ok with no hiccups.

> maybe someone knows of a decent USB soundcard with debian drivers to
> try out?

Today I tested my old ESI U24 with Ubuntu 11.04 (I know, it's old) on a x86 machine.
I didn't get that far that Pd was sounding, but a quick test via Ubuntu's onboard prefs showed,
that this interface worked out of the box.
So next steps are configuring it for Pd on the x86 and then seeing what's needed for the RPi.

My goal is to find a simple 2-in/2-out USB interface which I can rip apart and (virtually) glue
to the RPi in it's box - also since the RPi has got no inputs.

> other than that a GPIO based soundcard solution would be nice but no
> one has made such a think afaik

well, shouldn't be too hard to create an SPI interface and connect some AD/DA hardware.
But to get that working on an OS-level so that software like Pd, SC etc. have proper and reliable (!)
access to it, I can't say, but I think that needs some more effort - let alone the timing issues which may occur.

Michael.
PS:
oh, I just had the fantasy an Adat lightpipe or S/PDIF interface could be cool ... just dreaming ;-)
(the driver problem would remain the same - USB is the easiest way to go)