[PD] Pd Vanilla on Raspberry Pi

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:10:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

@ Miller : I think it's Pd 43 something (I use 42 on my latptop and it look
slightly different). Unfortunately the phase vocoder example doesn't work,
I do get some sound out of it but only in small distant chunks. Even the
pitchshifter example doesn't work. The reverb example does work though.
Please note that I tried all of these with the ethernet cable plugged in, I
think it was using a substantial share of the CPU.

@ Richie : I haven't tried the GPIO yet. I find it a bit frustrating when
they say that audio input can be added easily through the GPIO. I don't
think it's true. It would take a lot of hardware around a good ADC, plus I
guess a custom driver. There aren't any DIY audio ADCs on the web that I
know of, except a project by a German guy who builds ADCs and DACs frm
scratch.

One thing I would like to know is how difficult it would be to run Pd on
this machine at a very low level, with a very minimal OS (I know nothing
about this kind of things). 700MHz is a lot I believe, considering that a
lot of digital audio gear was available before this chips were affordable.
I'm pretty sure that a standard digital multi-effects for instance doesn't
need 700MHz at all. I've been dreaming of building this "Pd box" people
have been talking about for many months now, and I can imagine what a
revolution it would be if it was open source.

Cheers,

Pierre.