[PD] libPD and Unity status?

Scott R. Looney scottrlooney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 06:05:27 CEST 2012

hi Peter - i remember that post. having very recently come into game audio
i got myself acquainted with middleware through FMOD, and immediately
thought there should be a better way to do this. i've read the posts on the
goal of separating the GUI from the code, and that's what i think should
happen, but doing it in Unity Free is my focus. things like not being able
to implement filtering in your audio unless you pay $1500 for Unity Pro is
absurd.

what i'm envisioning is TCP or event-based communication to an app that is
using libPD. the app would have a GUI talking directly to libPD and
outputting audio. vitally important to this would be the ability to
dynamically create or instantiate patches or objects. i'm fairly certain
this can be done in PD. can such a thing also be done with libPD?

regarding using the separate app - ideally i want something that can be
used for a variety of game engines, not just Unity. if we use libPD in a
Unity project, then we'd either be forced to create the GUI in Unity or
have separate communication with the GUI outside of Unity. i suppose that's
possible but i'd have to consider whether it's more efficient or not.

scott