[PD] Pd Vanilla on Raspberry Pi

Michael Zacherl sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info
Tue Aug 14 00:09:51 CEST 2012

On 13.8.2012, at 20:29 , Miller Puckette wrote:

> This is good news about the TASCAM devices (I see there's a whole series
> of them and they're cheap.)  I've also heard that Presonous's interfaces
> are class compliant, but I've now forgotten who told me that.
>
> I read some months ago on the Raspberry Pi site that it should perform
> "about like a 300 mHz Pentium II" - and the fact that it runs the phase
> vocoder patch without running out of CPU cycles roughly confirms that.

I just checked the Phase Vocoder (compile of Pd-extended on Raspbian) via X11 redirect:
Pd eats about 68% CPU load running a 2k window.
A 4k window causes about 75% CPU load where occasional glitching occurs.

To avoid additional system load I tried to run it with -nogui (after preparing the patch) via ssh
but the system claims the sound device is busy.
Didn't find out why so far, a simple test-patch runs fine though.
No idea what's going on.

> For those of you who are getting skips in the sound, I'm curious if Pd
> is printing the usual messages like:
>
> priority 96 scheduling enabled.
> priority 98 scheduling enabled.
>
> on standard error when it starts up --

no, no such messages at start up.

> if not, it would be worth trying
> to figure out how to get Pd to be able to get real-time priority which
> might fix some of the problems.

BTW, is it possible to quit Pd via the patch?
Just in case Pd has such high priority that the system becomes inaccessible.

thanks,
Michael.