[PD] midifile+tempo control

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 14 04:36:09 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-13 10:34, Jeppi Jeppi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a simple way to play midifiles from pd and being able
> to set alter their base tempo. It seems Mr.Peach [midifile] doesn't
> offer that possibility so, what would you suggest me to do?

The bangs you send to [midifile] set the tempo. [midifile] actually
ignores the tempo of the midi file and you can play it at whatever speed
you like by changing the [metro]. For example [metro 1.5] plays twice as
fast as [metro 3]. Each bang advances the tick count of the midi file by
one. There is a field in each midi file that specifies how many ticks
per quarter note, so you can make playback tempo-accurate by reading
that value and setting the metro accordingly, at least if you know which
notes are quarter notes ;)
The right outlet of [midifile] outputs status from the file including
ticks_per_quarternote and microsec_per_quarternote.

Martin