[PD] variable number of outlets/inlets /dynamic patching

Michael Zacherl sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info
Tue Aug 14 15:56:35 CEST 2012

Hallo IOhannes,

> On 08/11/2012 01:58 PM, Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> In Pd-extended it could be easier since there are more possibilities to control the init-phase of a just loaded patch.
>> I think it's in iemlib (Iohannes could chime in) but admittedly I forgot about it, since also there was a lot of discussion wether this should go into Vanilla or not,
>
> the secrect is [initbang], which fires when the abstraction is ready (rather than [loadbang], which fires when all the patch (with all the abstractions, sub-patches and what not) is ready)).

what about dependencies within cascaded abstractions?
E.g. one dynamically patched abstraction would need another one?
is there a way to guarantee a sequence in order not to break connections?

> unfortunately, i haven't found a way to make [initbang] without hacking Pd itself, so it's not part of any library (e.g. iemlib).

so it's a modified Pd-Vanilla, we have with Pd-extended, not only Pd-Vanilla plus a load of externals and abstractions?
I wasn't aware of that. Now I understand all the discussions about that (not trying to open an old can of worms!  ;-)

> instead, there is a (low-level) "patch" for Pd somewhere in the tracker, which is applied to Pd-extended (but unfortunately not to Pd-vanilla).

tracker?

> thus: if you want to need [initbang] (which you do if you really need variable in/outlets in abstractions), you need to either compile Pd yourself or use Pd-extended (only the core binary, no need for any externals here)

What I tried, and apparently works, is to create a maximum number of inlets/outlets and delete the ones not needed at load-time.
ButI consider this one a hack and certainly doesn't improve the reliability of a dymamic patch.

Michael.

--
feed your perception: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist