[PD] Textual pd primer

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 21:58:07 CEST 2012

I guess this is a case of working out best practices for development.

Nobody actually develops Pd in text mode, but gettin things running in
an embedded way involves a good deal less graphics and can be intimidating
or confusing at first.

If you don't want the RPi set up with mouse, kbd and monitor like a full
system, it's rather like working on other embedded development systems,
you need to see the board as a target host, and your local machine as the
development (client).

One way is to work on a laptop or desktop, and the ftp/scp them accross to the
target board.

But probably most useful is to use X windows to ssh

ssh -Y -l user address.of.my.rpi

and then just start Pd, which will seem to run on your main machine.

I sense some kind of Raspberry Pi and Pd workshop in the coming
weeks. maybe best developmnt practices and tips will be an
outcme of that meeting.

best,
Andy