[PD] variable number of outlets/inlets /dynamic patching

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 18 20:39:37 CEST 2012

On 08/14/2012 03:56 PM, Michael Zacherl wrote:
> Hallo IOhannes,
>
>> On 08/11/2012 01:58 PM, Michael Zacherl wrote:
>>> In Pd-extended it could be easier since there are more possibilities to control the init-phase of a just loaded patch.
>>> I think it's in iemlib (Iohannes could chime in) but admittedly I forgot about it, since also there was a lot of discussion wether this should go into Vanilla or not,
>>
>> the secrect is [initbang], which fires when the abstraction is ready (rather than [loadbang], which fires when all the patch (with all the abstractions, sub-patches and what not) is ready)).
>
> what about dependencies within cascaded abstractions?
> E.g. one dynamically patched abstraction would need another one?
> is there a way to guarantee a sequence in order not to break connections?

well, [initbang] guarantees[*] that it only fires after all the "static"
objects contained within the abstraction have been properly constructed.
an object is properly constructed after the "new" routine (constructor)
has been called (in case of externals) or (in case of abstractions) the
entire abstraction has been loaded and it's [initbang] method has been
extecuted.

afaict, this is all you asked for.

fgmadr
IOhannes

[*] if it does not as advertised here, i would consider it a bug.