[PD] Error installing Puredata from software center

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 18 20:44:22 CEST 2012

On 08/16/2012 07:50 PM, Rick T wrote:
> Thanks now when I try and go to the about and click on help and about or
> help and manual I get error messages
> couldn't open "/usr/lib/puredata/doc/1.manual/1.introduction.txt": no
> such file or directory
> couldn't not find "/usr/lib/puredata/doc/1.manual/index.htm": no such
> file or directory
>
> I tried installing the doc's from the software center and it says I have
> to uninstall puredata.

try to find out why it wants to uninstall puredata.

most likely this is a version mismatch between the "puredata" package
and the "puredata-doc" package.
alternatively, "puredata-doc" got not updated[*] properly, but since
"puredata" depends on "puredata-doc" you cannot really uninstall it
without removing "puredata".
personally, i would open a terminal, and run something like
$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall puredata-doc

or (in case the above does not help), even do something like:
$ sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/puredata-doc_0.43.2-4_all.deb
(adjust the version number to the one you have installed)

fgamsdr
IOhannes

[*] i suspect this to be a package updating problem.