[PD] nightly builds going away for now

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 20 22:41:17 CEST 2012

On 08/16/2012 07:47 PM, András Murányi wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Tilo Kremer <pd at dadacafe.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/15/2012 11:13 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Brooklyn Poly can no longer host the build farm machines there, so the
>>> main set of machines will be going offline as of today (I just found
>>> this out today).
>>>
>>> I'll see if I can find another host for them, but that will likely take
>>> a good long while since I'm deep in life with a 1 year old, a pregnant
>>> wife, and full time work.
>>>
>>> Even better would be someone taking over the hosting of the main server,
>>> i.e. the one with the web server and all of the builds.  I can post the
>>> image of the current server for downloading, or advise on setting up a
>>> new one from scratch.
>>>
>>> .hc
>> For the time that I am working at the Hamburg University of Fine
>> Arts, I will continue to run the 64bit debian build boxes.
>>
>> I have too few powerpc boxes left to be able to offer more in this
>> respect.
>>
>> A set of instructions for setting up the build boxes would
>> nevertheless be very helpful.
>>
>> Thank you for all your effort,
>>
>> best wishes,
>>
>> Tee
>>

> I've updated the builder matrix for clarity.
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/PdLab Please correct if any mistakes.
> Right now the greatest need is to re-establish the autobuild master as the
> slaves are virtually useless without a master. I guess it would be a relief
> for Hans if we could do this mostly by ourselves.
> Now, I see that the Jenkins master is up, it says it's running on
> macosx105-i386.pdlab.puredata.info but it's not the ip that belongs to the
> macosx105-i386 slave according to the wiki.
> Anyway, this could be the time to take the step and move the autobuild
> process to Jenkins. But it would take some to get everything build there
> reliably, I guess. Opinions?

I like the idea of trying to decentralize the process more.  We could
entirely decentralize it and have people just setup a nightly build
they're interested in, and then have a central location for finding
people's builds.

If we wanted verifiable decentralized builds, we could go with gitian:
http://gitian.org/