[PD] nightly builds going away for now

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Aug 29 20:23:33 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 03:11 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2012-08-20 22:41, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> >> I've updated the builder matrix for clarity.
> >> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/PdLab Please correct if any
> >> mistakes. Right now the greatest need is to re-establish the
> >> autobuild master as the slaves are virtually useless without a
> >> master. I guess it would be a relief for Hans if we could do this
> >> mostly by ourselves. Now, I see that the Jenkins master is up, it
> >> says it's running on macosx105-i386.pdlab.puredata.info but it's
> >> not the ip that belongs to the macosx105-i386 slave according to
> >> the wiki. Anyway, this could be the time to take the step and
> >> move the autobuild process to Jenkins. But it would take some to
> >> get everything build there reliably, I guess. Opinions?
>
> > I like the idea of trying to decentralize the process more. We
> > could entirely decentralize it and have people just setup a nightly
> > build they're interested in, and then have a central location for
> > finding people's builds.
>
> > If we wanted verifiable decentralized builds, we could go with
> > gitian: http://gitian.org/
>
> in the meantime i keep getting requests from people who want to
> download "something" from autobuild.puredata.info, e.g. because they
> are using this as the canonical source for pd downloads.
>
> e.g. Pd-extended-0.43.1(beta) is _only_ available via autobuild.p.i,
> and therefore it is no longer available at all.
>

> i think we should get a replacement for the download server asap, even
> if the build-servers take a bit longer.
> what are the space requirements for the autobuild webserver?
>
> i could probably allocate some disk space at iem.

The quick approach to this would be just to set up an folder that is web
accessible, say:

http://puredata.info/auto-build/latest

then set up an rsyncd to allow uploading from the whitelist build server
IPs.  Currently running still are the 10.6 server in Weimar,
debian-stable-amd64 and debian-testing-amd6 at HfBK, the 10.5/powerpc
server at Sewanee, and the 10.5/Intel machine in NYC.

.hc