[PD] finding objects ?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:30:16 CEST 2012

> > New users will be totally oblivious to what this means.
>
> It doesn't matter-- replace my text with your hypothetical progress bar.  It's
> still clearly better to make the user wait and watch the progress bar _only_
> when they finally do something with the search plugin than it is adding
> several orders of magnitude more load time to Pd for something many
> people may never use.

I am confused. I thought that the search plugin can be used both in the browser as well as when creating objects (as in auto-completion). If former, I can see your point to an extent. If latter, then I heartily disagree.

> > When a new user picks up
> > pd (or in this case pd-l2ork, as was the case this summer with 30+
> > 5th-12th
> > graders) you want things to just work.
>
> Search-plugin does work && it indexes at startup: yay!
> Search-plugin does work && it indexes at first search (or first opening of
> search-plugin): yay!
> Search-plugin does not work && it indexes at startup: Pd sucks!
> Search-plugin does not work && it indexes at first search (or first opening of
> search-plugin): Search-plugin sucks!
>
> Thus I conclude the proper place for the indexing is not at startup.

Again, I am lost. Why would it not work? If it is also auto-completion (which I think it should be, otherwise why go through all that trouble just to have it in a browser), then why would it not ever work?

> I just went through problems with Gnome 3 trying to run a bunch of tracker-
> * services to index my harddrive and blowing up cpu usage, so I speak as a
> user when I say that I don't like that design.

It's all in the implementation. We're not searching the entire drive but a very limited set of folders...