[PD] packOSC integer marshalling

Jamie Bullock jamie at jamiebullock.com
Fri Sep 7 21:17:44 CEST 2012

Hi Martin,

On 7 Sep 2012, at 14:13, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I guess it's because all numbers in Pd are floats, but usually integer floats are meant to be integers. But obviously it's impossible for the code to know what the user wants, so you can also force the type by using the [sendtyped ...( message. Probably sending all numbers as floats will annoy an approximately equal number of people.

Hmm... surely if it's impossible to know what the user wants, the best thing to do is just pass the values along without converting them. The client then has the option to coerce whole-number floats to ints if it wants to.

Anyhow, if I can force all numbers to be floats with [sendtyped ...( that solves my my problem in practical terms.

best,

Jamie