[PD] finding objects ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 18:07:34 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

There's probably a script that can be written to count the number of help
patches that still need META subpatches.  I have the feeling it's something
like 1500 or so.

> I would have no problem doing this, as long as there is some
> waranty that my time won't be wasted by leaving the suggestions somewhere in
> a mailbox, and not commiting the patches.

That's ultimately decided by the author of the library.  You have to contact each one
and ask if you can add those changes.  For some authors it's trivial.  For others,
like Miller, a separate location for the updated help had to be created because indeed
the suggestions just sit in a mailbox somewhere otherwise.

> that would a) release the developers of the shore of doing a good documentation
> (many don't really do it),

I think it'd be a better idea to assume that undocumented objects are either under
current development or are crap-- either way, they shouldn't be included in a release
of Pd.  In most cases a minimal example patch and a few sentences (or even single
words) to describe the xlet/object function is all that is needed.  If the developer couldn't
be bothered to do that, what else couldn't he/she be bothered to do in the code that
runs on your machine and can potential crash your patch?

> b) in the long run maybe have a unified
> documentation for the whole pd-ext,

Without automated templates like matju's Gridflow documentation system this
is just too much work.

> c) give a model for new (and old?)
> developers to prepare their material, if they want to,

See above.

> d) solve one big problem
> with new users, the unstructured/unfriendly documentation, and e) world peace.

Unstructured docs are fine if they a) exist and b) are discoverable.

-Jonathan