[PD] GEM question: reading from big videos

Luiz Naveda lab.naveda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:11:31 CEST 2012

Hi João, Max,

Indeed, the buffers would not solve the problem.

But I was thinking that the patches controlling VLC and quicktime
would provide a solution or a way to find a solution.

Best

Luiz Naveda

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> wrote:
> Hi João,
>
> actually those patches won't help you so much, as it aims at very short samples/videos up to about 8 seconds, depending how much memory your graphics card has. But they may give you an idea how to proceed. It's definitely not a good Idea trying to load a long HD movie in a [gemframebuffer] it might even crash gem if the memory on the card is not sufficient.
> but try if h.264 (compression) in pix_film runs smoothly enough (that may also depend on the OS you are on).
> If anyone disagrees with above please chime in.
>
> Max
>
> Am 07.09.2012 um 05:33 schrieb Luiz Naveda:
>
>> Hi João,
>>
>> Have a look at the pristine tutorials of Max Neupert:
>>
>> http://www.uni-weimar.de/medien/wiki/Audiovideo
>>
>> and have fun!
>>
>> Luiz Naveda
>>
>> http://naveda.info
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have almost no experience with GEM, so I wanted to ask around about this.
>>> I have a patch that should play 3 HD films, in the following way:
>>>
>>> - the main patch plays the sound, and sends the frame-infos around through
>>> OSC
>>> - the frame-infos are received by 3 video player patches (each in one
>>> separate Pd instance), each one playing one film
>>> - the films are a bit heavy: 1/3 full HD = 640x1080pix each, around 6m long
>>> (maybe more). The playing speed is around 25fps, sometimes less, sometimes
>>> more
>>> - the hardware has a SSD disk, and i5 quad processor > 2,7Ghz (I can't say
>>> yet much about the graphic card)
>>>
>>> Which object is more adequate to play these videos in GEM?
>>> Probably isn't a good idea to load the videos into RAM. The playback is also
>>> very variable: forward, backward, something else... That means, is there a
>>> buffer-setting that would help in this case?
>>> And, under this context, how fast could the video be played?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> João

>> --
>> Luiz Naveda
>>
>> http://naveda.info
>>
>>                                      ^v^
>>      ^v^
>>                         ^v^
>>
>> ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~~^~~^~~^~^~^~~~^^~^~~~~
>> ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~~^~~^~~^~^~^~~~^~~~

Luiz Naveda
- PhD researcher
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/samba
- Director SysMus09
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/sysmus09

IPEM - Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music
Ghent University
Office: + 32 9 264 4127
Blandijnberg 2
Ghent, B-9000