[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:41:33 CEST 2012

Dear Pd-Listers,

Sorry this obviously OT question.

I'm trying to use my Raspberry Pi (yes I know, i'm also beginning to get
fed up with its apparent ubiquity...) as by portable webserver. By portable
I mean that i could carry it with me and plug it into any home router and
make it accessible to every machine in the local network.

The obvious problem i'm currently faced with is that of the IP given by the
router to the RPi. I think it's possible to configure the RPi to have a
static IP, but I have no idea how "portable" this solution is. Say, if I
configured my RPi to alsways show up as 192.168.0.255, would this address
work with every home router?
Another option, perhaps : use the unique MAC address of my RPi ? I have no
clue whether it is possible at all to connect to a local webserver using
the MAC of its host.

Any clue is more than welcome, i know practically nothing about networks.

Cheers,

Pierre.