[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Mon Sep 10 17:02:32 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a netgear router and it's possible to reserve a particular IP for
a given MAC address. To find the MAC address of the card type in a
terminal "sudo ifconfig". It should show a listing for the ethernet port
or wireless adapter if you're using one. Look for the "HW address" (or
something similar) and this is your MAC address.

Hopefully with this information in hand, your router's configuration
page (with the netgear this is accessed via a web browser) will give you
the option of reserving an IP for the MAC address via DHCP. On the
netgear this config is done under the heading "IP Configuration of LAN".

cheers,

iain