[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Mon Sep 10 17:00:19 CEST 2012

Pierre Massat wrote:

> The obvious problem i'm currently faced with is that of the IP given by the
> router to the RPi. I think it's possible to configure the RPi to have a
> static IP, but I have no idea how "portable" this solution is. Say, if I
> configured my RPi to alsways show up as 192.168.0.255, would this address
> work with every home router?
> Another option, perhaps : use the unique MAC address of my RPi ? I have no
> clue whether it is possible at all to connect to a local webserver using
> the MAC of its host.

Keep dhcp on to satisfy the network topology, and try zeroconf. On Linux
it's provided my means of avahi and nsswitch-mdns. On Mac OSX it's
called Bonjour. On Windows you can get it by installing some Apple
package about printers (search bonjour for windows on duckduckgo).

Having mdns enabled will let people connect to your computer by name, ie
"http://raspi.local/test.html" if your Pi is named raspi (you can figure
it out by typing "hostname" in a a terminal).

It works by letting computers advertise their IP and hostname on the local
network.

Archlinux Wiki is beginner friendly for that matter :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi

Have fun,

--
Charles