[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 22:10:08 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:32:38PM +0200, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Ok, so the static IP is the way to go.
> Can I choose x and y arbitrarily ?

Pretty much yes. Obviously the aim is to avoid a clash of IPs, but
DHCP running on the behalf of the other things in your network will
work by asigning around fixed IPs. Mixed dynamic and static isn't as
bad as it may seem when one person is configuring the network and
knows all the devices.

> How do I know what value of x will match
> my subnet ?

The router will itself be on that subnet, and its dhcpd will
asign joining workstations on that subnet too, so for example
if the router is 192.168.0.254 then it will probably have
allocated some other machines as 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2
and so on. On any of those boxes try

$ ifconfig  (nix)
> ipconfig  (win)

> As for the value of y, I guess any value high enough (say, 50)
> in a small home network will do, right?

Yes. Assuming that dynamic allocation starts at 192.168.x.1 and grows
upward some people adopt the scheme of allocating static IPs from
the top downward, maybe start at 192.168.0.250, the next at 192.168.0.249
and so on.

best,
Andy