[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Tue Sep 11 10:38:36 CEST 2012

Hi,

let me advocate zeronconf vs. static IP a little more.

Charles Goyard wrote:
> Keep dhcp on to satisfy the network topology, and try zeroconf.

Also, it can perfectly be that mdns is enabled by default on Raspian.
You can check by issuing a "ping yourpihostname.local" from the raspi.

I find the static IP way a lot more time consuming and error prone. The
IP you choose can be free at the moment you set it, but if a new
computer pops up in the network, you can have a conflict. Example: on my
network my printer has a reserved IP in the DHCP configuration. If you
happen to pick this apparently available IP and I turn the printer on,
that's a big mess, because you have not respected the network
administrator's work :).

Zeroconf has been made for that: you know nothing about the network and
still you're reachable by name. Easy, fast, default on Ubuntu and Apples.

Search "avahi" in this page:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/38/prepare-for-ssh-without-a-screen

To have zeroconf installed in windows: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999
(yes, it's supposed to be about printers but it works for the whole
system)

Cheers,

--
Charles