[PD] Creating a drum machine with "save slots"

Filippo Beck Peccoz mail at fbpsound.com
Tue Sep 11 18:41:02 CEST 2012

Hello list!

I'm working on a drum machine to be used in a mobile game- it's a trading card game.
Right now, I have a 64 step grid with 5 instruments ready (although a tad messy :D) and I can manually write patterns in by hand using toggle boxes.

In every turn, the game features many different game states, like deck building, defense, attack and so on. It would be great to have a drum machine that can change beat patterns based on those states, and maybe generate fresh patterns in a controlled way. Two different problems, I know, but I was wondering first of all how you would solve the saving of patterns inside the instrument.

I would basically create arrays with patterns in them, name them appropriately and then tell PD when to change to specific patterns via message. Is there a better way I'm missing?

The idea is to create a very dynamic drumsound, which is closely related to what's happening on screen. We can already change the tempo and mix sounds in and out, but the real fun starts when patterns will become more flexible!

Thanks for reading, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers from Munich,

Filippo

Filippo Beck Peccoz
Game Audio