[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:51:58 CEST 2012

Ok, fidebaque time !
I installed avahi on the RPi (it's not there by default in Raspbian wheezy).
I can access the server running on the Pi by its hostname in a web browser
from Windows Vista without having to install Bonjour at all (at last! I've
found one nice feature of Vista!). I suspect the same behaviour in 7, but
i'll have to check.
On the other hand, XP is not able to access it by its hostname by default.
Installing Bonjour fixes this.
I haven't tested this on a linux machine, but I guess it should work just
fine.

zeroconf is really cool. Thanks a lot for turning me on to this!

Cheers,

Pierre.