[PD] [GEM] compiling with ImageMagick

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:44:26 CEST 2012

On 13/09/12 00:38, Jaime Oliver wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to compile gem in ubuntu 12.04, with latest gem from git
> and pd 0.43-2. I need imagemagick for image support...
>
> For some reason after running ./configure I get:
>
>      use ImageMagick      : no
>
> I have installed it using:
>
> apt-get install imagemagick
On debian (so probably also on ubuntu) the package you're after is the
development one:

libmagickwand-dev

(which will probably also pull some other stuff in..)

> I am generally new to ubunt, so i might be missing something...

On debian (and ubuntu) when tracking foo dependency for compiling you're
usually after foo-dev or most often libfoo-dev but as the example above
shows the name of the library/development package can be rather
exotic/different compared to the package name.. :)

Another nice one is apt-get build-deb for packages which are already in
the repositories but you'd like to compile yourself for some reason.

Lorenzo.