[PD] ... and the battle with IT begins

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:08:18 CEST 2012

Yip yip - unfortunately standard IT practice.  Here at UoHuddersfield we
have a big music-tech dept and the running of the labs and studio's has
been wrenched out of IT's hands.  All the better for it.  I spent around 3
months convincing IT to let us tunnel through the Uni firewall to do
telematic performances with jacktrip.  It was a complete nightmare, I
couldn't have given them more notice, or been clear about what we were
doing and what needed doing.  I also had all necessary permissions sorted
from various staff members.  The 1st gig they completely screwed up and we
were unable to perform and the 2nd performance had me yelling down the
phone at an IT guy half an hour before the gig, who had spent the previous
2 months alternately telling me he'd already done it or it couldn't be done
'cos it's a security breech, and he just flicked a few settings (via his
laptop from home!!) and we were able to perform.  Not the most relaxing way
to start a 2 hour improv:)

So yeah, standard jobsworth practice unfortunately.

Good luck and keep at 'em,

Julian