[PD] ... and the battle with IT begins

m.e.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:07:34 CEST 2012

it does get me all quite riled up

my initial reaction always is to plot some disruption (reset admin
pass, create a hidden admin, etc)

all the visual and performing arts computers at syracuse u are now
bound to active directory including faculty and staff personal
laptops... so any type on install requires admin privileges meaning it
has to be approved by IT.

when did IT start dictating pedagogy?

at the moment students all come with new macs + 10.8. teaching station
is still at 10.6. something simple like demoing screen capture from
quicktime turns into a 1/2 hour "wait... this is different on your
system?"

totally OT now but im going to try installing 10.8 to a USB Flash with
pd-extended "non-production environment ready" build and just boot to
my own system.... bypassing all vpa it internals

maybe that will work and i wont have to get all fired up on wednesdays
with the knowledge that our academic institutions almost fully
assimilated into the corporate model that we here in the state so
idealize.

thanks for your ears

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/09/12 19:14, m.e.grimm wrote:
>>
>> my rant is as follows
>>
>> when making a request to have pd-extended 0.43.1 installed on the
>> teaching station i get:
>>
>> "Mark:
>>
>> For obvious reasons, we won't install a beta release of software in a
>> production environment.
>>
>> The current latest production release will be installed."
>>
>> which im fine with 042.5 but this is just more annoying than anything
>> else.
>>
>> am I alone or do others on this list in Universities battle with IT on
>> a daily basis? i am suspecting im not alone.....
>>
>> is it the word "BETA" that is so bothersome? what is a "production
>> environment"? am i not producing something?
>>
> After quite a while and after gaining a certain amount of trust and respect
> by the IT people (but also with some backing by my boss, and I must say they
> are clever guys, not as stubborn as what you write) I got an 'experimental'
> machine where I'm admin: but that's because my job may include installing
> and testing alpha-alpha software and report back to developers...
> But I'd assume 'audio' and 'video' machines are always less restricted (the
> people working with MACs have full admin on those as well).
>
> Good luck
> Lorenzo.

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com