[PD] corner case

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at inm.mh-freiburg.de
Sun Sep 16 13:26:44 CEST 2012

Hi,

 this was killing half of yesterday and might be of interest to some
of you, who might run into some similar trouble: Attached is a patch
where the number box and dial have the same send and receive symbols
("test1").

Sending a float directly to a "s test1" makes this float appear only
once at the outlet of the "r test1", whereas routing the float makes
it appear twice at the outlet.

It seems to me the message-loop avoiding mechanism of the iem-gui
objects needs an explicit "float" selector which doesn't get
transmitted through the route object. Casting the output of the route
with an explicit "float" argument seems to fix this.

This is not a bug report it's just a report about some corner cases of
pd which can get nasty but are somewhat unavoidable (in general I'd
favor forcing explicit selector passing (and printing) in general
which would make it ugly, but easier to debug, but this decision was
made so long ago that it's futile to discuss now anyway).

Yours,
Orm