[PD] Super computer made of legos and Raspberry Pi computers

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 23:03:48 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 05:47:22PM -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Thanks a lot Andy, that was really informative.
>
> So I see there's no point at all comparing this "super" Pi rack to general
> computers, and that you can't run one Pd having it being served by 64 of
> these.
>
> cheers

Actually, there's a lot of value in these arrays for DSP work, at least particular
kinds of creative DSP work, because what you have is effectively a giant
modular synth. Data flow is a good candidate, because the work is
usually a unidirectional flow of data frames through the system.

On another note, I was pondering your comment on the economics of
the Pi in Brazil that you replied to Charles.

Maybe I am mistaken but the real, deep objectives of the Pi foundation
are to ubiquitize (yuck!!!)  (maybe "democratise"?) production
through open hardware design so that you can get a fab plant to
start making them locally. I know Brazil can't compete with
China on economies of scale right now, but nontheless the
opportunity is there at least without any trade barries based on
intellectual property nonsense. Its long past time we had a standard
international unit of computing that any 10 year old kid can grab and
know the other 9 billion people on the planet have access to.

best
Andy