[PD] messages language

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 07:15:21 CEST 2012

I did a search for "sinesum" with my gui-plugin and got the following (ignoring some which just
use sinesum in an example patch):

doc/5.reference/all about arrays.pd

doc/5.reference/table-help.pd

doc/2.control.examples/15.array.pd
A few points:
1. Pd's right-click Help is functionally useless for arrays.  You have to open the
graph and click directly on an array element to get array-help.pd.  Otherwise Pd
assumes (correctly) that you're clicking a canvas and brings up canvas-help.pd.
I put links for arrays, subpatches, tables, etc. in the updated doc for canvas-help.pd
but it's still difficult to find.
2. Typical responses on this list (like mine above) assume the user knows how to
browse the "Pd docs", which are located in different places depending on your
system.  Although the user can click <ctrl-b> to bring up a platform independent
doc browser, it still takes 2 clicks to get to any of the docs listed above and is
generally a pain in the ass to try to remember whether some doc was located in
"1.manual", "manuals", or god forbid "7.stuff".
3. Sorry about #1 and #2 above.  The documentation should be a lot more
user-friendly than it currently is.

-Jonathan