[PD] debugging sporadic hangs at startup

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Sep 27 19:23:23 CEST 2012

This is actually on Linux.

The problem is likely not in C, since program does start up and creates the
main Pd window and then hangs during loading of the patch (the patch window
is created but canvas remains empty and after that nothing responds any
more). It seems to me this is probably because at some point messages sent
to tcl/tk over network (from C) get mangled after which gui stops
responding. I had issues like these before with network externals and solved
them, but this is the one that I had a hard time weeding out since it is so
sporadic. For this reason, I would like to somehow output all  tcl/tk
commands that were sent to gui. Any way to do this and send it to a separate
log file without opening a terminal?