[PD] arraysize WAS apt.puredata.info is back!

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 21:23:35 CEST 2012

>________________________________

    then there is a point.

_Everybody_ wants to write patches that work on vanilla everywhere.

When we can't we try to figure out a course of action, but when we
can (without employing wild hacks) we should.

> If people are already using Pd-extended or
    Debian then I honestly don't see the point, arraysize is already
    there, like many other externals.

It's like you wrote above.  People _do_ want patches to be as cross-platform
as possible. (Not if.)

>For me, apt-get install pd-arraysize is far easier than trying to
    remember that [expr] trick.  And thankfully we can write externals,
    so we can have choice. :-)

If it were a wild hack I'd agree, but it's not.  It is a standard operator for
[expr] that's been there for ages and is clearly documented.

And who is this mythical user that looks to the Debian repositories
to figure out how to do something in a programming language?
(Hm, I'm not getting audio output, let's open up Synaptic and search
20,000 mostly non-related packages for a solution...)

-Jonathan

>.hc
>
>On 09/27/2012 03:00 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> That feature comes at the expense of compatibility, which
>> normally wouldn't be an issue _except_ that Pd
>> Vanilla already has the same functionality. So let's
      encourage
>> use of the more compatible way using [expr], which is
>> clearly documented and supports the _exact_ same features
>> as arraysize.
>>
>> -Jonathan
>>

>>> ________________________________
      back!

>> IMHO, arraysize is very useful because it has a memorable
      name. "I
>> > need to find the size of an array... oh, [arraysize]".
>>
>> .hc

      size("array-name")]
      Vanilla,

      apt.puredata.info is back!