[PD] Pd download page

Joel Matthys jwmatthys at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:24:50 CEST 2012

I have a question about the download page at puredata.info. Is there a
special reason that the source tarball is listed first in the file list?

Would it offend our FOSS sensibilities to move the source package to the
bottom of the download list? It seems unusual to me to see the source
listed first.

I use Pd with my students, many of them undergraduates with no
understanding of the difference between source and binary. When I assign
students to download and install the Pd binary, despite my explicit
warnings, invariably a few of them will grab the source, since it's at
the top of the page and says "all platforms."

(In the most recent incident, a student downloaded the source, and,
unsure how to proceed, asked the university IT department, who told him
"just to open it in Adobe.") :-)

Joel