[PD] array size (was Re: arraysize)

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 2 17:15:18 CEST 2012

This is in my long-range plan but hasn't yet risen to the level of "urgent".
However, this migth be a good moment to get started on this because several
other backward- and even forward-imcompatible needs are also rising to the
fore:

1. there's a bug in hip~ - its DC gain is slightly (and possibly considerably)
greater than 1.  "fixing" this will change the audio output of older patches,
usually much too slightly to matter, but there will have to b a "-pre-0.44-hip"
flag or something to allow strict back compatibility;

2. There's no place in the pre-0.43 file format to alow specifying individual
box widths and font sizes; I put an "f" (=format) message to the canvas
object in 0.43 so that in 0.44 I can make it set font size and box width and
perhaps leave an opening for other formatting info.

3. the upsampling inlet~ by default zero-pads its input.  This is incorrect as
its DC gain is less than one.  (Try using that as input to a phasor~ for
instance - bad surprise!)  I want to change the default so that it acts like
a sample-and-hold, which I believe is an option now.  To preserve back
compatibility I'd keep all the "upsampling methods" in place but only change
default behavior for patches with a 0.44 or later version stamped on them.

Each of these presents a different spin on the age-old issue of keeping
total back compatibility in place, even when the compatibility is to preserve
a big as in (1) and (3) - and arguably in the file searching too; I'm not sure
whether to regard that as a bug or just over-hasty design.

cheers
Miller