[PD] array size (was Re: arraysize)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 2 17:36:47 CEST 2012

I think having a compatibility version stamp in the patch is a good
idea.  This ties in well with the experiments I've been doing with
splitting out all of the objects from pd itself.  If all of the core
objects are a standard library, then that means its easy to choose which
version of the standard library that a patch is using.  In Pd-extended,
this is called the 'vanilla' lib, and its been included in some form
since 0.42.

Then if a patch has a compatibility version stamp in it, Pd can
automatically look to see if it has a copy of that version of the
standard library, and load it.  Otherwise, it would load the version
closest to that, and throw a warning, or optionally that could be
considered an error.

To make this work well, the key missing feature is the ability to change
which loaded library an object name maps to in the canvas-local
namespace.  Currently, once an object name is mapped to a loaded
.pd_linux, that is a global association.  This is needed so that patches
using different standard libs can be open at the same time.

Then making the versioned standard libs would be pretty easy, mostly
just bundling the right .c files into a lib.

.hc