[PD] array size (was Re: arraysize)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 2 18:01:44 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-02 17:15, Miller Puckette wrote:
> 2. There's no place in the pre-0.43 file format to alow specifying
> individual box widths and font sizes; I put an "f" (=format)
> message to the canvas object in 0.43 so that in 0.44 I can make it
> set font size and box width and perhaps leave an opening for other
> formatting info.

should this be able to set the properties per-box?
how would a patch look like?

<snip>
#X obj 111 169 f;
#X obj 111 192 +;
#X f font-size 12
#X f font-face Helvetica
</snip>

this has no idea of which objects to modify, so probably something like:
<snip>
#X obj 111 169 f;
#X obj 111 192 +;
#X f 0 font-size 12
#X f 0 font-face Helvetica
#X f 1 font-size 12
</snip>

how about borrowing from the "#A" idea to load arrays?
<snip>
#X obj 111 169 f;
#F font-size 12;
#F font-face Helvetica;
#F bbox 100 50;
#X obj 111 192 +;
#F font-size 8;
</snip>

...where those "#F" lines are ordinary messages that are sent to a
per-object "gui-proxy object" that controls the visual appearance of
the object?

speaking of "#A": would it add any incompatibility, if the
array-loading mechanism could be extended to _all_ objects.
e.g. if an array is saved in-patch, we get something like

<snip>
#X array array1 3 float 3;
#A 0 -0.5 -0.3 -0.1;
#X array array2 3 float 3;
#A 0 0.5 0.3 0.1;
</snip>

after the 1st line (that creates 'array1'), the receiver "#A" is bound
to this newly created array. in the 2nd line a message is sent to
array1 via this receiver.
in the 3rd line (creating 'array2'), the "#A" is unbound from "array1"
and bound to "array2".

it would be great if this could be extended to any object:
<snip>
#X obj 100 100 print;
#A foo bar;
#X obj 200 200 f;
</snip>
would send [foo bar( to [print] before all loadbangs and stuff, even
before [f] is created.

fgmasdr
IOhannes