[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 and Openbox

Nicola Pandini nicola.pandini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:49:48 CEST 2012

Il 02/10/2012 16:43, Hans-Christoph Steiner ha scritto:

> The problem is caused by how Tk and X11 measures window frames: it
> measures it including all of the chrome around the window (the
> button/title bar on the top, any framing on the bottom, etc.)  The
> window framing/chrome varies a lot depending on which window manager,
> etc. you are using.
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/11502
>
> Pd-extended places windows based on how things measure using a
> standard GNOME install, since GNOME is the default on most distros.
>
> So what you need to do is write a plugin that sets custom values for
> your window manager.  I think these are the variables you need, but
> look in pd/tcl/pdtk_canvas.tcl for more info:
>
> set ::windowframex 5   (play with the numbers to get it right)
> set ::windowframey 5
>
> Once you get it working, post it to the puredata.info/downloads page
> so others can download it if they're using the same window manager.
> There are lots of other things you can customize too, so you could
> make a plugin that makes Pd feel as native as possible.
>
> .hc

Thanks for the help.
I made some experiments with ::windowframex and ::windowframey and I
found out the following things:
With ::windowframex = 1 and ::windowframey = 49, a loaded patch is
displayed correctly in the position previously saved. That's beacause 49
is the sum of the heights of the wm's title bar and the pd's menu bar,
and 1 is the width of the wm frame.
But with those settings the "new file" create a window outside the
screen (x = -1, y = -49).
To fix that, I have to set ::windowframex and ::windowframey to 0, but
that makes the loading of a saved patch incorrect again (49 pixels below
and 1 pixel to the left of the saved position).

Is there different procedures to menage the "new file" and "open file"?

     Thanks

--
Nicola