[PD] Can't create Gem window

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 13:09:40 CEST 2012

> do glxgears work?

yes.

> if so, what is your pixel-depth?
> Gem wants to create a 24bit buffer, so if you are running your X in
> 8bit/palette mode it will bail out.

xorg.conf says 24, using proprietary ATI driver for the HD7700

DefaultDepth     24

> this is what Gem requests:
> {
> GLX_RED_SIZE>=4,
> GLX_GREEN_SIZE>=4,
> GLX_BLUE_SIZE>=4,
>
> GLX_DEPTH_SIZE>=16,
>
> GLX_STENCIL_SIZE>=8,
>
> GLX_ACCUM_RED_SIZE>=8,
> GLX_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE>=8,
> GLX_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE>=8,
>
> GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER
> }

verbose output of glxinfo indicates
doubleBuffer =1
rgba are all =8
depth =24
stencil =8
accum are all =16
doubleBuffer =1

system spec:
Intel Core i5
Radeon HD7700 graphics card.
Ubuntu 10.04

I am wondering if the ati proprietary driver might be to blame, but I am not sure how to check this...
Ed

looks good:
Visual ID: 6b  depth=0  class=DirectColor

    bufferSize=32 level=0 renderType=rgba doubleBuffer=1 stereo=0
    rgba: redSize=8 greenSize=8 blueSize=8 alphaSize=8
    auxBuffers=0 depthSize=24 stencilSize=8
    accum: redSize=16 greenSize=16 blueSize=16 alphaSize=16
    multiSample=0  multiSampleBuffers=0
    visualCaveat=None
    Opaque.