[PD] Recording audio to mp3 using LAME or ffmpeg ?

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 13:13:22 CEST 2012

On 05/10/12 11:55, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> How would you go about recording the audio output of a Pd patch directly to
> mp3 (or any other compressed format actually), without using the object
> from the Unauthorized library ?
> Would it be feasible to use the [shell] object with a script using ffmpeg
> or LAME ? I don't really know whether there would be serious timing uses,
> who to use those for recording a stream instead of a file, how to send Pd's
> audio out...

use jack and ecasound?

gstreamer objects for pd?

hacky way might work:
writesf~ in raw (headerless mode)
mkfifo foo.raw (read mkfifo manual)
lame foo.raw (if it accepts raw input)
careful with deadlocks/SIGPIPE

> I could always record to wav and run a script afterwards to compress and
> delete the original file, but i'd rather have something more direct.

i tend to record in 32bit wav (-bytes 4) to avoid any clipping, then
remove dc/normalize/convert later.  i tend to hoard things, though...

Claude