[PD] Can't create Gem window

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 13:19:15 CEST 2012

Hey,

On 05/10/12 12:09, Ed Kelly wrote:
> Intel Core i5
> Radeon HD7700 graphics card.
> Ubuntu 10.04

64bit OS?  This is probably irrelevant as Wheezy is newer than Lucid, but...

In Debian Wheezy I have no end of trouble with proprietary NVIDIA driver
due to multiarch transition, in the end my workaround is to remember to
sudo rm mesa software rasterizer (super slow)
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so and symlink it to the proprietary one
installed in /usr/lib/libGL.so - painful

claude at cappuccino:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Oct  1 16:35
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so -> ../libGL.so

> I am wondering if the ati proprietary driver might be to blame, but I am not sure how to check this...

Dunno - is there some dual graphics laptop card thing that needs optirun
or what have you to get good performance?

>> check the output of glxinfo, whether your config supports such a setting.

$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | head
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
     GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
     GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear,
     GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context,
---
you definitely don't want to see swrast stuff in the debug output (if
there is any)

Claude
--
http://mathr.co.uk