[PD] [text3d] & video subtitling in Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 6 07:17:42 CEST 2012

On 10/06/2012 01:54 AM, J Oliver wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was working on a subtitling patch for videos, however, I encountered
> two problems to which I hope there is a solution, as solving them would
> make it work.
>
> Hard to say if this is a Pd problem or text3d problem or both.
>
> PROBLEM 1: commas cannot be written in [text3d]

[text3d] can render commas very well.
the problem is, that Pd's message box treats commas as as separator
between messages, so [yes I am sure, however( becomes two messages "yes
i'm sure" and "however".
the solution for this is not to use Pd's message box for any text that
contains commans, semicolons, curly braces and other reserved symbols.

for this, the [text*] family supports the "string" message, where you
can specify each character as a numeric value (uniode-points, or if ou
prefer: ascii)

[string 121 101 115 32 105 39 109 32 115 117 114 101 44 32 104 111 119
101 118 101 114(

> PROBLEM 2: spanish accents like á é í ó ú have some troubles in [text3d].
> If I write "avión", the accent will be there without a problem and it
> will display: "avión".
> But if I write "avió", the "ó" will not be there entirely and it will
> only display: "avi".

that's a bit weirder and might well be a bug in Gem.
please send a patch that exhibits this problem.

in the meantime, since the string really takes uncicode points,  it will
help you here as well:

[string 97 118 105 243(

btw, there is a subtitle-generator called [srtfile] (written by
hans-christof, maira and meself) that will read standard srt-file and
create a string at the right time, usable by Gem's [text3d] object. get
it at [1].

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[1]