[PD] [text3d] & video subtitling in Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Oct 7 09:57:35 CEST 2012

On 10/07/2012 06:51 AM, J Oliver wrote:
> that's a bit weirder and might well be a bug in Gem.
>> please send a patch that exhibits this problem.
>
> Attached

your patch is encoded in some ISO-8859 encoding, while Gem expects a
UTF-8 encoded string with the "text" message.

this most likely hints, that you are using an older version of Pd
(<0.43). one of the biggest things about Pd-0.43 is probably it's full
UTF-8 support, which should fix all these problems.

i converted your patch file to UTF-8, and now it works ok:
$ iconv -f ISO-8859-15 -t UTF-8 accents.pd > accents-UTF8.pd

as another check, i switched my keyboard layout to hebrew and entered
the text via a symbolbox and it displayed just fine (though it got the
font-direction wrong; but it's probably best to leave bidirectional text
handling out of Gem's scope and move that to a separate external).

for those tests i was using the stock debian packages (puredata-0.43.2-4
& gem-0.93.3-5)

fgmadr
IOhannes