[PD] PD and Smartphones

Filippo Peccoz mail at fbpsound.com
Wed Oct 10 13:50:12 CEST 2012

Hi Eran and List,

if you only want to control patches that run on your pc via smartphone, then most of them will work well- especially the ones with larger screens for obvious reasons :) . We have a couple of test phones here, from the galaxy tablets (7 inch) to the galaxy s3, but we're developing a game that runs pd natively from the phone (via libpd), so it's not exactly the same thing. I'd say go for the largest screen!

In terms of sending data to PD, I'd recommend you check out the  touchOSC app ,  i've been using it for a long time and it never failed me :)

And as for editing patches on the phone, I think I've seen something on iOS, but nothing graphical (yet).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Filippo

On Oct 10, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Eran Sachs wrote:

> Hello listers,
> I have searched the archive and found surprisingly little current info.
>
> So I am about to purchase my first Andriod Smartphone. I was thinking of something along the lines of Samsung Galaxy/Note.
> Ability to use PD is a major consideration.
>
> I am mainly interested in using the phone and its features as a controller for my patches (which, btw, use PD and extended GUIs.). Planning to keep processing audio on the ol` PC, so phone's audio performance is of secondary importance.
>
> Which device/model works best? Please share your experience, recommendations, suggestions, warnings.
>
> Also::: is there a way to actually edit PD-patches on phones?
>
> Thankful as always,
> Zax

Filippo Beck Peccoz
Game Audio