[PD] compiling pluginhost~ on Ubuntu/Mint

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 10 17:04:05 CEST 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 6:11 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2012, at 01:15, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> That fixed it.  I just updated the Makefile to the latest version from
>> the template.  It now allows you to include the extra sources without
>> having to modify the Makefile.  It also has better support for building
>> on Mac OS X >= 10.7, since Xcode 4.x doesn't install the PowerPC tools
>> by default.
>>

> Great! I've just updated the Makefile so if looks in the include/ directory for headers as before. See svn 16376.

It would be much preferrable if those headers were removed from the SVN and instead the README.txt included instructions for installing the packages needed to get those headers.  Its actually against Debian policy to include files in a package that already exist in another package. For example, on Debian-derivs, its:

 sudo apt-get install dssi-dev libasound2-dev ladspa-sdk

For Fink on Mac OS X, its:

 fink install dssi-dev libdssialsacompat ladspa-dev

I'll bet MacPorts also has those packages.

>> Also, I noticed that some of the liblo code says it has a CPL license.
>> It seems that code is not compatible with the GPL:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Public_License
>>

> That was a typo. The version of liblo I took the code from was GPL v2.
>
>> The website of liblo says its under the LGPL, which would be compatible.
>> That's something that will need to be clarified before this can be
>> uploaded to Debian.
>>

> I've now added clarification to handlers_osc.c
>
>> For the BSD-licensed code, the BSD license does have one requirement:
>> that you include the original license file.  You can just append it to
>> the LICENSE.txt file.
>>

> I've now added the necessary BSD inclusion to the affected .c files, it's only four lines.
>
> Generally tidied up all included licensing information so everything is clear and GPL-compatible in svn revision 16375.
>
>> I just committed the debian-izing.  If you want to try it, do this:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install debhelper devscripts dpkg-dev
>> cd /path/to/externals/postlude/pluginhost~
>> make dist
>> mv pluginhost~-1.0.tar.gz ../pd-pluginhost_1.0.orig.tar.gz
>> debuild -uc -us
>
> Great. I don't have a Linux box around right now, but thanks for doing this.

The licensing stuff was probably the only blocker for uploading to Debian, so once you make a 1.0 release, that should be pretty straightforward.