[PD] compiling pluginhost~ on Ubuntu/Mint

Jamie Bullock jamie at jamiebullock.com
Wed Oct 10 19:18:08 CEST 2012

On 10 Oct 2012, at 16:04, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

>> Great! I've just updated the Makefile so if looks in the include/ directory for headers as before. See svn 16376.
>
> It would be much preferrable if those headers were removed from the SVN and instead the README.txt included instructions for installing the packages needed to get those headers.  Its actually against Debian policy to include files in a package that already exist in another package. For example, on Debian-derivs, its:

I've got mixed feelings about this. It's clearly "much preferrable" to do it this way on Linux distros, which provide these packages.

On Mac it's a minor headache to 1. install a package manager 2. install the dependencies 3. make sure the build system can find the dependencies

On Windows: ??

OTOH, for the sake of including 3 headers in svn, everyone could just type "make", and they're done.

Anyhow, to conform to the policies and conventions of the Pd svn, I've removed the headers and added the requisite instructions to the README as suggested.

> The licensing stuff was probably the only blocker for uploading to Debian, so once you make a 1.0 release, that should be pretty straightforward.

I've just bumped the version number to 1.0.

svn 16380.

best,

Jamie