[PD] compiling pluginhost~ on Ubuntu/Mint

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 10 22:24:37 CEST 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2012, at 16:04, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
>>> Great! I've just updated the Makefile so if looks in the include/ directory for headers as before. See svn 16376.
>>
>> It would be much preferrable if those headers were removed from the SVN and instead the README.txt included instructions for installing the packages needed to get those headers.  Its actually against Debian policy to include files in a package that already exist in another package. For example, on Debian-derivs, its:
>>

> I've got mixed feelings about this. It's clearly "much preferrable" to do it this way on Linux distros, which provide these packages.
>
> On Mac it's a minor headache to 1. install a package manager 2. install the dependencies 3. make sure the build system can find the dependencies
>
> On Windows: ??
>
> OTOH, for the sake of including 3 headers in svn, everyone could just type "make", and they're done.
>
> Anyhow, to conform to the policies and conventions of the Pd svn, I've removed the headers and added the requisite instructions to the README as suggested.

I've seen people include external headers many times over the years, and I've also seen bugs arise because of it, because those included headers were out of date, and the person building didn't realized that the project included its own version of the header rather than using the 'official' one.

The question to answer is: who are the people going to be building this from source?  The vast majority of users will want to download the binaries and never even think about the source code.  From my experience, I would guess that people who would want to compile it themselves will likely be interested in DSSI and LADSPA for other things also, and therefore will need to have those headers in a simple place for other projects too.

Does pluginhost~ work on Windows? I didn't realize that.  Does anyone distribute dssi or ladspa binaries for Windows?

Do Mac OS X devs work without macports, fink, or homebrew?  I personally cannot imagine using Mac OS X for C development without Fink.

Its Debian policy, not Pd policy, you can have the headers in SVN if you want :). Just making the build rely on them there makes it a pain to package it for Debian.

So if you really want, I'm ok with you putting the headers that were in include/ directly into pluginhost~.  Then you won't need the -Iinclude.  My issue is about putting those external headers in the 'make dist' tarball.  This setup would allow people to build using those headers if they checked out via SVN, but if they download the source tarball from the release, they'd need to get those headers from an 'official' source.  That official source could also be downloading the source tarballs and copying them into place.

Or there are other possible approaches as well.

.hc