[PD] compiling pluginhost~ on Ubuntu/Mint

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 11 17:53:34 CEST 2012

On 10/11/2012 10:11 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2012, at 21:24, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got mixed feelings about this. It's clearly "much preferrable" to do it this way on Linux distros, which provide these packages.
>>>
>>> On Mac it's a minor headache to 1. install a package manager 2. install the dependencies 3. make sure the build system can find the dependencies
>>>
>>> On Windows: ??
>>>
>>> OTOH, for the sake of including 3 headers in svn, everyone could just type "make", and they're done.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, to conform to the policies and conventions of the Pd svn, I've removed the headers and added the requisite instructions to the README as suggested.
>>
>> I've seen people include external headers many times over the years, and I've also seen bugs arise because of it, because those included headers were out of date, and the person building didn't realized that the project included its own version of the header rather than using the 'official' one.
>>
>> The question to answer is: who are the people going to be building this from source?  The vast majority of users will want to download the binaries and never even think about the source code.  From my experience, I would guess that people who would want to compile it themselves will likely be interested in DSSI and LADSPA for other things also, and therefore will need to have those headers in a simple place for other projects too.
>>

> I probably came across as more grumpy about this than I actually am!  I agree with the exact points you've made here, but I can also think of cases where it's more desirable to commit things to svn. I tend to take a pragmatic view, weighing up the reasons for / against on a case-by-case basis. In this specific case I think you're right that the people compiling from source are likely to be on either a Linux audio box or Mac with Fink / MacPorts / Homebrew so I'm perfectly happy with the decision to remove the headers :)
>
>> Does pluginhost~ work on Windows? I didn't realize that.  Does anyone distribute dssi or ladspa binaries for Windows?
>>

> It *should* work on Windows. The Audacity project provides a bunch of LADSPA plugins for Windows: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Ladspa_Plug-ins
>
> pluginhost~ doesn't require that the UI part of DSSI is running, so it should make it possible to run some of the synths under Windows with no GUI.
>
> Jamie

Ok, if you're ready to make a 1.0 release:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MakingALibraryRelease

Let me know once the tarball is posted, and I'll make the 'official'
Debian package.  I'll keep the packaging stuff (i.e. the debian/ folder)
in a separate repo in the Debian pkg-multimedia team's git repo.  Do you
want to keep the debian/ folder in your SVN folder?  I normally delete
it, but its fine to keep it there, as long as you're aware that I won't
be updating it there anymore, but only in the pkg-multimedia git.